If you are faculty or staff member interested in developing a program (for credit) to lead Howard students abroad, please visit the Ralph J. Bunche Center to discuss this option, and/or email email@example.com to set up an appointment.
Howard University Faculty & Staff Checklist
For Leading Students Abroad
- Department/Dean has reviewed itinerary, learning goals etc and approved the proposed program.
- Submitted proposal to the Bunche Center for program standards review.
- Identified necessary co-leaders: programs must have a 1 to 10, leader to student ratio, with a minimum of 2 leaders per program regardless of student numbers.
- Lead, co-leaders and student participants have been cleared by the Title IX office.
- Leaders have participated in pre-departure training (required once every three years). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your training or register for the next workshop.
- Students have been scheduled for pre-departure workshop with the Bunche Center.
- Identified and communicated to students immunization and visa requirements.
- Submitted student and leaders names to the University’s International Insurance provider.
Click here to view full Faculty/Staff Handbook
Click here for Travel Approval Process Overview
|Task||Winter Program||Spring Break Programs
|Program Development/Proposal/Contract signed with 3rd Party||Fall Previous Year||Spring of Previous Year
|Spring Previous Year|
|Program Announced/Advertised||Previous Spring Semester||Fall of Academic Year
|Fall of Academic Year|
|Application Due & Student Selection (go/no go date if not enough students)||September 1st||Dec 1st||Jan 1st|
|Student deposit due to secure spot. Submit Travel Forms to Provost Office||October 1st||Jan 1st||February 1st|
|Final Payment||November 1st||February 1st||March 1st|
|Travel||December/January||First Week March||May/June/July|
*Programs short of this timeline require special approval by Provost office or should be delayed till the following year.