HOW TO STUDY ABROAD AT HOWARD:
- Attend an information session in the Bunche Center, held weekly from 3:00-4:00 pm on Tuesdays & Wednesdays.
- Make a list of all unfulfilled major/minor courses & identify applicable programs from those offered through HU Program Partners (see “Program Partners” tab).
- Identify 1-2 programs that offer a minimum of 6 courses (18 credits) that work within your HU scheme.
- Visit the Bunche Center during advising hours* to speak with staff about your desired program and discuss the steps forward!
- Submit the Bison Abroad Application, a scanned copy of a course approval form, a copy of your Howard transcript and copy of the photograph page of your valid passport to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline. The email subject should read: Full name, program provider name, country, city, term abroad
*Advising Office Hours: Tues-Friday, 1:00 pm-5:00 pm
- Minimum of 1-year on campus
- 3.0 GPA*
- Be in good academic, financial, and student conduct standing at Howard
- Ability to earn Howard credit for 12+ ** credits abroad (per semester)
- Hold a passport by the Pre-Departure Orientation
- Financially capable of being abroad independently for 2-months (pre-financial aid reimbursement)
- Your last 15 credits of your degree must be earned on Howard’s campus.
* 2.75+ you can write a letter of appeal to override the GPA restriction
** 18+ course approval requirement
TOP 10 BISON ABROAD FAQS:
When can I study abroad?
Students are eligible to study abroad after they have spent two semesters studying on Howard’s campus and up to the fall semester of their senior year.
Note: Students should prepare to study abroad NOW. The more electives, language classes and general courses that you have left on your scheme, the more locations that you have the option of traveling to.
How long can I study abroad?
Through the RBC, Howard students can study for up to 1- academic year and/or during the summer as long as they meet the eligibility requirements.
Where can I study abroad?
Howard Students can study abroad in the following regions, Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Canada, Europe, Latin America, the South Pacific, and the Middle East.
How much does it cost to study abroad?
Studying abroad at Howard can be approximately the same price as staying on campus! The price will depend on the program that you select.
Does my Howard scholarship apply to study abroad?
Yes, during the academic school year. However, these funds are not applicable during summer study abroad. Private scholarships and loans can be used during the summer with advance preparation.
Do I have to know a foreign language to go abroad?
No. You can travel to many different countries and take class in English and classes to learn the local language. However, a few programs do have a language requirement.
Where would I live while abroad?
Howard students have multiple options including, a homestay, an apartment, or on- campus. The choice is generally up to the student and dependent upon what the program offers in any give city.
Should I be worried about my security while abroad?
Howard students must travel to locations that are not listed on the US State Department’s Travel Warning List. Thus, travel abroad is generally safe and students are in no more at threat abroad than in the US.
Why should I study abroad?
There are a million different reasons to go abroad, but a few are as follows:
- To experience & learn a new culture and language
- To learn about your major/minor from an international perspective
- To learn about the US from an outside context
- To experience a new university style/system
- To make yourself a competitive applicant for future opportunities (jobs, internships, fellowships, graduate school, etc.)